Pop goes the ankle!

Tyler is beyond tired of the Emergency Room.  In the last 30 days, he has been to the ER twice, and called 911 once.  Before this month, he had been to the ER maybe once in his life....and to my knowledge he has never called 911.
The first time we went to the ER, he was super sick with that sinus infection.
The second time was last night. I'll tell you why, later.

So why did he call 911?
About 2 weeks ago, it was around 5 a.m. and I was sound asleep.
All of a sudden I woke up to Tyler's alarm going off and him tapping my shoulder and holding his phone an inch from my face.
We were both half asleep when we had the following conversation:
Me- "hmm?"
T-"Hey Autumn..hey...hey Autumn...hey"
Me-"Why is your phone in my face?"
T-"What is it doing?"
Me- "What do you mean?"
T- "What's my phone doing...what does that picture mean?"
Me- "It's ringing......you're calling someone Tyler...and that picture looks like a first aid symbol...I think you're calling 911."
T- "No I'm not.....no...no I'm not..."
Tyler then started to push every button on his phone and lay it down. We went back to sleep.
Maybe 5 minutes later, we woke up to his phone ringing.
(half asleep...again:)
Tyler- Why is someone calling me? It's like 5 o'clock...
Me- I bet it's 911 calling back.
Tyler- It is not, Autumn, I didn't call 911.
He jumped out of bed (I still have no idea why he jumped out of bed) and answered the phone.
Hello?.....What?.....Huh?....Huh?....Oh..That was a mistake. Sorry. Everything's fine.
Me- who was it? 
Tyler-.....Greenbrier County Emergency Services or something.....
Me- You mean 911?
Tyler- yeah...
We remembered this incident around 2 that afternoon.  We figured out that, somehow, when Tyler was trying to turn off his alarm (in his sleep), he hit the "emergency call button" by mistake.

Now, why did we have to go to the ER last night?
The guys in our church started playing basketball every Monday night.  It's for guys only, so I normally just stay at home.  Last night, I decided to go and watch. I was the only girl there. They broke up into 3 teams and started playing.  Two teams would play and the winner of those teams would play the loser of the last game, etc, etc.  While I was watching Tyler play, my brother (he was on the team who wasn't playing at the moment) came up in the bleachers to talk to me.  While talking, I look down at the court just in time to see Tyler dive for a ball and hit the wall. I immediately zoned in to examine the situation....I was trying really hard to NOT be the scared little wife who runs down and embarrasses her husband.  After watching him for a few seconds from the bleachers, I watched Tyler get up and start playing like nothing ever happened. WHEW. Thank goodness he's ok, I thought. Good job, Autumn, good job.
I started talking again and my brother looked down at the court and said "oh no." What? What? I proceeded to also look down at the court and see all of the guys standing around one guy who was laying in the floor. Where's Tyler?? OMG. HE'S THE ONE ON THE FLOOR.  This is what was going through my mind--OMG OMG OMG!!!....I want to go down there. Should I go? Wait. Wait Autumn..hold on....you don't want to embarrass him...OMG! I have to go down there! He's been on the ground for like 30 seconds..OMG. Yeah, I'm going. OMG! So I run down the bleachers to my husband. This is what is going through my mind as I was running down the bleachers: OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG..don't fall.. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OH EM GEE OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have NEVER been so scared. I hadn't seen what happened, I just saw him on the floor. It was awful! I was terrified that he hit his head and that I was going to see blood. When I got to him I was relieved to see no blood.  What happened?? The guys told me they heard his ankle pop. I knew that for Tyler to be staying in the floor, he was hurt.  I felt around on his ankle and when I got an "OOOH" from him, saw that his ankle was starting to swell, and saw that he couldn't put any weight on it,  I decided I was going to take him to get an x-ray.  I'm not an expert in orthopedics, and in nursing school I learned that when in doubt, get an x-ray.  So that's how we ended up in the ER the second time.  He didn't break any bones, thank goodness, but he sure did a number on it. He has a knot on his ankle the size of a tennis ball.  They put him on crutches and air casted him. 

On a side note, when we were on our way to the ER, I asked if I had embarrassed him by running down there.  And to my surprise, he said "Heck no, the first thing I thought when I was on the floor was 'Thank goodness Autumn is here'.....Why didn't you come down there faster than you did???"

What I've learned from this:  1. If you have a lock on your phone, be careful when you are trying to unlock it in your sleep...(especially if you have a touch screen) because the "emergency call" button is RIGHT below it  2. If you do hit the "emergency call" button and hang up, they will call you back   3. It's perfectly ok to be the "scared little wife":) 4. If your husband hurts himself while playing basketball with guys from church...he will ask you if he cussed when he got hurt...just tell him he didn't...it will make him feel better:)

No comments: